Rediff.com  » News » I didn't know about attacks on Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi: Kasab

I didn't know about attacks on Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi: Kasab

Source: PTI
January 15, 2010 19:23 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November 2008, on Friday told a special court hearing the 26/11 terror case that he was not aware of the attacks at Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi, Nariman House and Leopold Cafe in Mumbai.

"I also do not know the people who had fired and exploded bombs at these places on November 26, 2008," Kasab said in reply to questions put to him by Judge M L Tahiliyani on evidence presented by the prosecution against him.

Kasab said he did not know that more people had been killed in firing and less in bomb blasts at Hotel Taj, Oberoi and Nariman House. He also denied knowledge that foreign nationals including those from Japan, United States, France, Italy and Israel had been killed in the terror attacks.

Kasab further said he was not aware that several victims had filed affidavits saying they were injured in terror attacks at Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus, Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi, Cama Hospital and Nariman House.

To a question on whether he was aware that Israeli nationals had died in the terror attack at Nariman House, Kasab said, "Mujhe pata Nahin (I do not know)." He also feigned ignorance about the blast at a petrol pump near Nariman House and said he was not aware that both the places were located close to each other.

Kasab said he did not know that fishing trawler M V Kuber was registered at Porbander and was found on the Mumbai coast on the day of the terror attack. He also denied knowledge that the trawler's navigator Amarsing Solanki and four crew members had sailed in Kuber from Porbander but did not return.

Asked whether he was aware that four crew members were reported missing, Kasab said, "I do not know who killed them."

This prompted Judge Tahaliyani to ask Kasab, "If you do not know whether they were missing, then how can you arrive at a conclusion that they were killed?"

According to the prosecution, Kasab and his associates had murdered Solanki and the four crew members and thrown their bodies in the sea.

When the court drew his attention to the evidence of the principal of a Bengaluru college, saying that the identity card which bore Kasab's photo was fake, the Pakistani national said, "Mujhe pata nahin (I do not know)."

Kasab also denied knowledge about the taxi blast at Mazgaon. The prosecution has charged him with planting a bomb in a taxi, which killed three persons. A total of 1,141 questions have been put to Kasab until now and the court would take two more days next week to conclude his statement before taking up the same exercise with co-accused Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI© Copyright 2020 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
SHARE THIS STORY