Pakistani gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab [ Images ], who unleashed terror in Mumbai [ Images ] last year with suspected LeT operatives, and two conspirators, pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, to charges framed against them by a special court.
Yeh sab galat hai, mujhe kabool nahin hai (these charges are wrong, they are not acceptable to me), Kasab said in his plea, adding that he wanted to face the trial. The other two accused, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed also pleaded not guilty to the charges, saying they too would like to go in for trial.
Judge M L Tahaliyani explained all the 86 charges framed against the accused in Hindi, laced with Urdu words such as sajish (conspiracy), aarop (accusation) and jung (war). All the accused were asked to stand up in the dock and hear the charges.
When Kasab was asked his age, he promptly replied, "21."
Prosecutor Ujwal Nikam [ Images ] immediately said "the cat is out of the bag". Kasab then said "mujhpe yakeen nahin hai to main kya karoon (If you do not have faith in me, what shall I do?). However, the judge rebuked Kasab, asking him not to make any comments and address only the court.
The charges framed against Kasab include waging war against nation, murder, attempt to murder, conspiracy, damaging railway property, entering India [ Images ] without valid passport, carrying arms and RDX, planting bombs and firing at various places in Mumbai.