My thoughts are with those injured: UK PM
August 14, 2018  15:52
Update on the UK Parliament security threat: A car today crashed into security barriers outside the UK's Parliament at speed, injuring two persons, Scotland Yard said as its counter-terror unit arrested a man on suspicion of terrorism offences. Police have put up a Terrorism Act cordon, a reaction to incidents of this nature near any high-security hotspots in the city.

"At 0737 hrs (1207 IST) today, a car was in collision with barriers outside the Houses of Parliament. The male driver of the car was detained by officers at the scene," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

The vehicle crashed into the large steel barriers erected around the Houses of Parliament complex in Westminster in central London. The car was seen wedged into flap-style barriers that allows vehicles access to the House of Lords, giving the impression that the driver may have been trying to gain access to the Parliament building. Armed officers from Scotland Yard were at the scene instantly and one man, in his late 20s, was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences.

Prime Minister Theresa May said: "My thoughts are with those injured in the incident in Westminster and my thanks to the emergency services for their immediate and courageous response."

Home Secretary Sajid Javid also thanked emergency services for their quick response.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said he was in close contact with police. The Metropolitan Police said it was "keeping an open mind" regarding the motive behind the incident as its Counter-Terrorism Command is leading the investigation.

The eyewitnesses said that a man, who looked calm, was led away in handcuffs from the car by officers after the crash. London Ambulance Service said in a statement that it had "treated two people at the scene for injuries that are not believed to be serious and have taken them to hospital".

The police added that they do not believe any of the injuries are "life-threatening". The area around Parliament Square has been cordoned off as investigations continue. The incident occurred at peak rush hour, resulting in major travel disruptions as Westminster tube station was shut down and road closures put in place. -- PTI
« Back to LIVE