"We will be video-recording the entire demolition process, which we will carry out from June 20, so that it can be used as proof against residents in the Supreme Court if they stop us from performing our duties," Mohan Adtani, additional municipal commissioner, said.
At the first stage of eviction, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) will cut off electricity, water and gas supplies to the illegally built flats. Internal walls of the flats would be pulled down in the second phase before finally demolishing the balconies.
Adtani said the demolition process was slated to start today but was defererred on humanitarian grounds following the death of two residents. "We had planned to start the demolition drive from June 17, but we have now given the residents 3 more days to vacate the flats after the death of two residents. We will now start the demolition from June 20," he said.
The families of the deceased residents would be given extra time so that they can complete the last rituals, he said. Campa Cola's first resident, Vinod Kothari (82), died on June 15 after a heart attack while 83-year old Chakravarti Chawla, a refugee from Pakistan, who had been hospitalised after suffering from kidney failure, expired on June 8.
Meanwhile, residents of Campa Cola said MCGM should extend their 'humanitarian gesture' to other residents as well. "It is heartening to know that the MCGM has some humanity left in them. We sincerely hope that this humanitarian gesture gets extended to other residents as well. We, as citizens, expect the MCGM to take a humane approach to this issue," Ankit Garg, a resident said.
The UNSC meeting also focussed on the 15th report of the Secretary-General on the threat posed by ISIL (Da'esh) to international peace and security and the range of United Nations efforts in support of member states in countering the...