rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » England badminton players to miss India Open over security

England badminton players to miss India Open over security

Last updated on: March 21, 2009 20:40 IST

England have withdrawn two players from next week's India Open badminton tournament due to security concerns, Indian media reported on Saturday.

Organising secretary Punnaiah Choudhary told the Indian Express that Carl Baxter and Rajiv Ouseph, seeded 11 and 12, had pulled out of the March 24-29 event in Hyderabad.

"The communication stated that they were advised by the Foreign Office to withdraw," Choudhary said.

Security fears in the Indian sub-continent have increased following an attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team bus in Lahore, Pakistan, earlier this month, and last November's militant attacks in Mumbai.

World number one Lee Chong Wei will head a field which includes former Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat and former all England champion Muhammad Hafiz Hashim.

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.