Rome is weighing up a proposal for a Formula One grand prix through streets on the outskirts of the Italian capital, local authorities said on Tuesday.
Former Formula Two driver and world superbike promoter Maurizio Flammini first had the idea in 1984 and has now proposed the scheme again after the Spanish city of Valencia and Singapore held street races last season.
"It's an idea Flammini has proposed and mayor Gianni Alemanno has said it is possible," a city council spokesman said.
The Monaco Grand Prix, which takes place through the streets of the Mediterranean principality, is Formula One's showcase race although Singapore's debut as a night race won rave reviews last year.
Flammini would like to see a Grand Prix in Rome from 2011 but any plan would have to be approved by Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who is not short of would-be hosts.
Ecclestone intends to bring South Korea on to the calendar in 2010 and India in 2011. He also wants a race in Russia and is under pressure from manufacturers and sponsors to reinstate a North American round.
Spain is the only country to have more than one race at present, with grands prix in Barcelona and Valencia. Circuits in Germany and Japan have agreed to alternate.
Italy, home of glamour team Ferrari, already hosts the Italian Grand Prix at Monza each year and held the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola before it was scrapped after the 2006 race.
There has been talk of more street circuits, with Abu Dhabi following Singapore this season and Paris and London mooted in recent years.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has criticised the trend however.
"At least Monaco has its own history but to have three or four Monacos is too much," he said last year.