rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Djokovic to launch Aus Open defence in Brisbane

Djokovic to launch Aus Open defence in Brisbane

September 17, 2008 16:01 IST

Serbia's Novak Djokovic will launch his Australian Open defence at next year's Brisbane International, a new event that has been added to the tennis calendar.

The world number three said he had chosen the Jan. 4-10 tournament to begin his preparations for the first grand slam of 2009 because it had the same court surface as at Melbourne Park.

"It is the perfect way to begin my Australian campaign. I have heard great things about Brisbane but never had the opportunity to visit," Djokovic said in a statement on Wednesday.

Djokovic will headline a host of top players for the men's and women's event, including Australian Open runner-up Jo Wilfried Tsonga of France and French Open women's champion Ana Ivanovic.

The Brisbane International was formed this year after officials merged the Australian men's and women's hardcourt championships, which were previously played at Adelaide and Gold Coast.

The new tournament will start two weeks before the Australian Open in Melbourne, which runs from Jan. 19-Feb. 1.

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.