NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » Chelsea fall to Burnley on penalties

Chelsea fall to Burnley on penalties

November 13, 2008 11:30 IST

English Premier League leaders Chelsea slumped out of the League Cup to Championship (second division) Burnley on Wednesday, beaten 5-4 on penalties after the fourth round tie ended 1-1 at Stamford Bridge after extra time.

Holders Tottenham Hotspur reached the quarter-finals with a 4-2 defeat of a below-strength Liverpool at White Hart Lane with two goals apiece for Roman Pavlyuchenko and Fraizer Campbell.

Blackburn Rovers won 2-1 away at fellow top flight side Sunderland, Roque Santa Cruz's effort and an own goal from Phil Bardsley proving decisive.

Chelsea, winners of the competition in 2006-2007 and runners-up last season to Tottenham appeared to be on the way to a routine victory when fit-again Didier Drogba gave them the lead after 27 minutes after a great pass from Frank Lampard.

It was the Ivory Coast striker's first goal for the club since his brace in the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool in April, although he has missed a chunk of this campaign with a knee injury.

Burnley, who are pushing for promotion in the Championship, battled back after the break and took the match into extra time when Ade Akinbiyi levelled with around 20 minutes remaining.

The visitors had Steven Caldwell sent off near the end of extra time but held their nerve to win on penalties when John Obi Mikel's penalty was saved by Brian Jensen, who had also stopped one from Wayne Bridge.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez made 10 changes from the side that started in the Premier League against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, although he did start with Spain striker Fernando Torres for the first time in more than a month.

A dull first half burst into life in the seven minutes before the interval when Tottenham scored three times to virtually seal victory.

Pavlyuchenko, who scored a late winner when Spurs beat Liverpool in the league 10 days ago, opened the scoring after 38 minutes, firing past Liverpool's Brazilian second choice keeper Diego Cavalieri after a cut back by Campbell.

Campbell made it 2-0 when he capitalised on a mix-up between Cavalieri and Andrea Dossena. On the stroke of halftime Campbell struck again with an unopposed header from Aaron Lennon's cross as Liverpool's defence crumbled.

Liverpool made a match of it in the second half with headed goals from Damien Plessis and Sami Hyypia either side of Pavlyuchenko's second.

"In the second half we were a little better, in commitment and in our quality, but after the first half it was impossible," Benitez told reporters.

Tottenham's Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was carried off on a stretcher with his neck in a brace midway through the second half after a heavy collision with Philipp Degen, although manager Harry Redknapp said his injury is not serious.

Tottenham have won five out of six matches and drawn the other since Redknapp took over from the sacked Juande Ramos, scoring 18 goals in the process.

© Copyright 2018 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.