Confusion over the death of a person in the bomb attack on Uttar Pradesh minister Nand Gopal Gupta 'Nandi' in Allahabad cleared on Tuesday with police admitting that one person was killed in the incident even as Congress accused the administration of trying to hush up the death.
The condition of 36-year-old Gupta, who was flown to Lucknow from Allahabad on Monday night, is stable, doctors at the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute said.
He had suffered injuries in his abdomen, neck and one of his hands. "We have registered an FIR in connection with the explosion. We have also taken cognisance of the death of Rakesh Malaviya, whose family members have alleged that he was killed in the blast", Inspector, Kotwali police station, Ashok Kumar Nigam said.
He said, "Till last night the body was lying unclaimed in the hospital. When family members brought their complaint to our notice we investigated and confirmed that Malaviya was killed in the blast".
City Congress president Chaudhary Jitendra Nath Singh told PTI, "I am aghast over the attempts to brush under the carpet the death of Malaviya who was killed in the explosion. Till 11 pm yesterday, no FIR had been registered in connection with his death".
He claimed that Malaviya had gone to the minister's house on the promise of a job as a private security guard of Gupta and the blast ripped through his midriff and he virtually acted as a human shield for the minister.
Meanwhile, police sources said, "Arrangements have been made to take journalist Vijay Pratap Singh and Gupta's personal security officer Sanjay to New Delhi for further treatment as soon as they are in a condition to be taken".
While the minister was shifted to PGI hospital at Lucknow last night, Singh and Sanjay are in a critical condition at a local hospital.
The Special Task Force of UP police has rounded up nearly 20 people for interrogation in connection with the case. Inspector General of Police, Allahabad Range, Subesh Kumar Singh, told reporters, "We have got no vital clues so far."