A Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of seven suspects linked to the 2008 Mumbai attacks has adjourned proceedings till May 8, apparently in anticipation of an Indian court's verdict against Ajmal Kasab on May 3.
The Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism court, which is conducting the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six other suspects, has adjourned its proceedings till May 8.
Kasab is the lone surviving terrorist of the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people, including foreigners.
A special court in Mumbai will pronounce its judgment on May 3 against the LeT terrorist.
The last hearing of the case, scheduled for April 17, was not held as Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan, who is conducting the trial, was on leave.
Initial reports had said the trial had been put off till April 24.
Sources said the court's decision to put off the hearing till May 8 appeared to have been influenced by the fact that a special court in Mumbai is scheduled to deliver its verdict against Kasab and two Indians for their alleged role in the Mumbai attacks on May 3.
The trial of Kasab and the two Indians, Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, lasted nearly a year.
However, Lakhvi's counsel Khwaja Sultan questioned the anti-terrorism court's decision to adjourn the trial till May 8.
"Why put off proceedings for three weeks?" he asked.
"These are delaying tactics and perhaps people here are awaiting the outcome of Kasab's trial in India," he added.
During a recent hearing, the anti-terrorism court had directed the prosecution to approach Interpol to issue red corner notices for Kasab and Ansari.The anti-terrorism court has also issued arrest warrants for the two men.