The Centre has decided to drop action against two journalists of a national daily for filing a "wrong" report about Chinese firing at Indian border guards in Sikkim.
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) had sent a complaint to the Delhi police but top officials decided to "let it go", Home Ministry sources said.
Earlier, officials had said that the police will register FIR within a week against the scribes -- one based in Guwahati and the other in Kolkata.
In its complaint to the Delhi Police, the ITBP had said that the journalists had filed a wrong story that two of its jawans were injured when the Chinese Army fired at them from across the border in Kerang in northern Sikkim earlier this month.
The news report, carried on September 15, was denied by the Ministry of External Affairs, which termed it "factually incorrect".
The ITBP also said said that no such incident took place anywhere along the Sino-Indian border where its personnel are deployed.
India has been seeking to play down the recent reports of Chinese incursions while maintaining that the situation was not alarming.