News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  gplay  » News » Srinagar: One militant killed in IED blast

Srinagar: One militant killed in IED blast

By Mukhtar Ahmad in Srinagar
June 19, 2009 21:12 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

One militant was killed and two others were injured while fabricating an improvised explosive device, even as authorities imposed security restrictions in north Kashmir district and in capital Srinagar to foil separatist call for a march on Friday.

Police said militants were fabricating an IED in a house in the Lal Bazzar locality of the capital city late on Thursday night, when the explosive device went off killing one militant on the spot and wounding two others.

Security forces rushed to the spot immediately. Police recovered one mine, three hand grenades and 100 rounds of AK-47 rifle.

Life in north Kashmir's Baramulla district was paralysed as the state authorities imposed curfew-like restrictions on Friday morning to foil separatist call for Baramulla march today.

Police and paramilitary, Central Reserve Police Force were deployed in strength to halt the pedestrian and vehicular movement in Baramulla and Sopore towns.

The hardline separatist All Parties Hurriyat Conference had called for a march to Baramulla town on Friday to protest against the rape and murder of two women in Shopian town last month.

Restrictions were also imposed in parts of summer capital Srinagar on Friday morning as a precautionary measure.

Markets in the old city and other areas were shut and public transport was off the roads in Srinagar. However, private transport was plying in parts of the city.

Meanwhile, over two dozen persons including six photo-journalists were injured in the post Friday prayer clashes in parts of Srinagar.

Police had to fire teargas and use repeated baton charges to disperse the stone pelting protestors who took to streets immediately after the Friday prayers in Srinagar.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Mukhtar Ahmad in Srinagar