The four National Security Guard hubs announced in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror strikes last year will be operational by June 30.
This was stated by NSG Director General N P S Aulakh after his meeting with Union Home Minister P Chidamabarm in New Delhi on Tuesday.
"We have got land at all the four places -- Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Chennai," Aulakh told PTI.
The four hubs for both anti-terror and anti-hijack operations will be operational by June 30, he said.
In the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks in November last year, the government had decided to set up NSG hubs in the four cities followed by more in the state capitals.
The NSG is faced with gigantic task of setting up the hubs as the 8,000-strong force is drawing men from its existing ranks.
The force, which gets its men on deputation from the Army and paramilitary forces, is still in the process of recruiting additional personnel needed for the new hubs. In the meantime, it was likely to operationalise it with existing strength.
Sources said batches of 200-250 army commandos (drawn from the Special Action Group) and 50-60 paramilitary troops (drawn from the Special Ranger Group) would be deployed initially who will be the first line of defence and offence in case of a terror attack.