The Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure (CCI) has been constituted under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. The constitution of the high powered Committee comes in the wake of government's focus on infrastructure which has been identified as a key priority area.
The Committee will fast track the implementation of the infrastructure sector projects and monitor the performance keeping in mind the mandate of the Government. The functions of the Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure will be as follows:-
1. To consider and take decisions in respect of all infrastructure related proposals costing more than Rs.150 crore specifically those concerning Energy, Railways, Roads and National Highways, Ports, Airports, Telecommunications, Information Technology, Irrigation, Housing and Urban Development with particular emphasis on rural housing
and urban slum clearance.
2. To consider and decide measures; namely, fiscal, financial, institutional and legal required to enhance investment in the
infrastructure sector, including grant of requisite approvals to facilitate private sector investment in specific projects;
3. To lay down annual parameters and targets for performance for all infrastructure sectors; and
4. To review the progress of infrastructure sector projects.
The members of the committee are:
1. Pranab Mukherjee, Minister of Finance
2. Sharad Pawar, Minister of Agriculture, Food & Civil Supplies, Consumer Affairs & Public Distribution
3. Mamata Banerjee, Minister of Railways
4. Sushil Kumar Shinde, Minister of Power
5. Farooq Abdullah, Minister of New and Renewable Energy
6. Jaipal Reddy, Minister of Urban Development
7. Kamal Nath, Minister of Road, Transport & Highways
8. A. Raja, Minister of Communications & Information Technology
9. Dr. C.P. Joshi, Minister of Rural Development
10. Kumari Selja, Minister of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation
11. G.K. Vasan, Minister of Shipping
12. Pawan Kumar Bansal, Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Minister of State, PMO Prithviraj Chauhan, Minister of State for Civil Aviation Praful Patel, Minister of State for Civil Aviation will be the special invitees.