rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » News » NIA takes over Goa blast probe

NIA takes over Goa blast probe

December 11, 2009 14:38 IST

The probe into the blast in Goa, which was triggered in October, has been handed over to the National Investigation Agency for a thorough enquiry as it was emerging that links to the crime, alleged to have been carried out by Hindu extremists, were found in other states as well.

The Goa government issued a notification to the Centre recently after which the NIA, formed in the aftermath of 26/11Mumbai attacks, was asked to initiate a probe into the bomb blast at Margo that killed two persons on October 16 this year.

After registering the case, the NIA formed a team and dispatched them to take over the details of the case from Goa Police, official sources said.

Sources said it has become necessary to investigate the case of the Margao blast by the NIA as a right-wing Hindu group Sanatan Sanstha was allegedly involved in the explosion.

This is the first-ever case related to a Hindu group that has been handed over to NIA. Earlier, Nanded blasts of 2004 had been handed over to the CBI.

The Sanstha, which is now headquartered in the temple town of Ramnathi in the Ponda region of Goa, has members and associates in several states.

"Investigations have hinted that Sanatan Sanstha had its base in Maharashtra before being shifted to Goa," the source said. The Sanstha has denied its involvement in the explosion. 
 

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.