Date sent: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:51:38 -0600
From: Mathews Thundyil (TX) <MatTh@porous.com>
Subject: Cross Fire

You point out Ramesh Patange's comments without addressing the very disturbing implications held therein. When he says, "...The change in dress habits, languages and values of life after conversion produce fissiparous tendencies which in turn are followed by demand for separate states..." we must be clear on what he is opposed to. If he is opposed to the demand for separate states (as I suppose him to be), then he must know that we have laws against sedition and treason in this country. These are laws that are guaranteed under our Constitution. If, on the other hand, he is worried about the "change in dress habits, languages and values of life" then I must point out that the same. The Constitution also guarantees the individual these freedoms.

The real question is whether ideologues such as Patange's are opposed to the Constitution or not. The basic issue here is the rule of law and the Constitutional right to hold and change your beliefs. Philosophically, conversion is guaranteed under the Constitution. The Constitution also guarantees your right not to be "forced" to change your beliefs. If, in fact, "force" is being used, then let us address that from a judicial standpoint. The law is clear on what constitutes "use of force" -- it merely serves the Parivar well that these issues are not discussed in clear and fundamental terms.

Date sent: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:34:24 -0500
From: "Beera, Samuel S." <Samuel_Beera@CGUUSA.com>
Subject: Arvind Lavakare's Cross Fire

I suggest Arvind Lavakare read Saisuresh Sivaswamy's article Saffron dogs of war bark up the wrong tree.

Date sent: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:20:22 PST
From: "Shankar Karta" <kartatech@hotmail.com>

Arvind gets it right on all counts. The Catholic Church has always been a wealthy and male-dominated body. Currently, its hold is mostly in emerging countries in Latin & Central America and in Asia in places such as Vietnam.

The non-Catholic Church also has its agenda, mostly political and economic. We read so much about the ills of Hindu society such as the caste system and sati, so how about the ills of other religions, past and present?

Date sent: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 18:37:28 -0500
From: "S G Govande" <ssgovande@instinet.com>
Subject: Arvind Lavakare column

Very interesting column, full of thoughts, and at times, controversial issues. Please continue. When reading his essay on the Texas acquisition by the US, how does one counter the point that the Texans today have no desire to be separate from the USA, and there is no ongoing strife of any political sort against the existing government? I am sure the Americans are likely to ask this question when we compare Texas and Kashmir. Thank you.

Date sent: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:53:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Mrugesh Desai <mrugeshd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Arvind Lavakare's column

The above article is impressive, except that some more statistical data could have made it more impacting. I do agree with the idea of having a concrete plan for proving that Hindutva doesn't mean anti-minorityism. This is the illusion that is created by some wicked politicians who still use the British policy of divide and rule. They are using faith and belief of the common man to satisfy their own greed for power. And as always one who does not retaliate suffers. That is what is happening.

We Hindus have never fought for our religion. Can anybody prove that Hindus tried to enforce their religion on others? You cannot find any such evidence in the history of this great country.

I feel from the heart that many people in this country do like the BJP government. This kind of so-called communal riots are just the means of bringing it down. And I would ask our people not to be influenced by the crooked politicians and their speeches, they should believe what is in front of their eyes. My best wishes are with the Sangh Parivar.

Mrugesh

Date sent: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 19:28:33 +1100
From: wfyang@cheque.uq.edu.au
Subject: Lavakare , Desmond Tutu's comment is the best

"In the beginning we had the land, and they had the Bible. Now we have the Bible and they have the land." The famous quote of Nobel Laureate Archibishop Desmond Tutu.

Rama

Arvind Lavakare

Tell us what you think of this column
HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | INFOTECH | TRAVEL
SHOPPING HOME | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS
PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK