Former top General Sarath Fonseka, expected to run as president in Sri lanka, said, on Wednesday, that he was looking forward to support from India for his nation's future.
Expressing that he was "very fond" of India, Fonseka, who is being endorsed as the joint opposition candidate to challenge the incumbent Mahinda Rajapaksa, said he was looking forward to support from India during his future plans.
"I will always do all I can to fulfill the aspirations of the people," Fonseka said when asked whether he would contest against Rajapaksa, to make it battle between war heroes. Both Fonseka and Rajapaksa are claiming credit for wiping out the dreaded Tamil Tigers and the former army chief told All India Radio that he would go public with his plans soon.
Fonseka is expected to address a press conference later this week to unveil his plans. Meanwhile, Fonseka who quit last week as the Chief of Defence Staff told media-persons on the sidelines of a function on Tuesday that he had always taken up challenges successfully. "I have never failed in challenges in my life," he said.
Earlier addressing a business meeting, Fonseka said he was asked to take responsibility for the death of 80 Sri Lankan soldiers and then 120 soldiers during two attacks in Muhamalai during the peak of war with the Liberation Tigers of the Tamil Eelam. Stating that he faced the challenge and took up the responsibility, Fonseka said the credit for the victory over LTTE should be shared.
While serving as the army chief, Fonseka had revealed to reporters that India trained 800 Sri Lankan officers every year free of charge. He had said that while Sri Lanka was purchasing arms from Pakistan and China, it has not succeeded in procuring it from India due to various reasons.