NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News  » Sports » 1st ODI Diary: Journos get a shock

1st ODI Diary: Journos get a shock

Last updated on: May 11, 2007 16:03 IST

The frequent power cuts at the Sher-e-Bangla National stadium in Dhaka during the first one-dayer proved a big hassle for scribes in the press box.

Two female journalists from a leading Indian television channel had the most harrowing experience when they got stuck in the lift for around 10 minutes during the power failure.

"It was a horrifying experience. The lift was packed from all sides and we just could not breathe. There was no way to get out," said one of them, looking completely shocked.

After power was restored they made their way to the press box on the third floor.

After that incident many journalists had those thoughts crossing their mind when they used the lift!



While the whole of Bangladesh hailed their country's superb run at the 2007 World Cup, there are quite a few who believe their run was a fluke.

"Bangladesh's victory over India in the World Cup was a fluke," says Jahangir Khan, adding that he is a keen cricket follower.

Khan was the national billiards champion in his hey day.

"I was the national billiards champion for 10 years in the 1980s," he claimed while on the flight from Kolkata to Dhaka on Wednesday evening.

He believes that India will win all the matches, in the ODI and Test series.

"We think that Bangladesh was lucky to win against India and South Africa. It won't happen everyday," he added.

One could not help thinking that on Thursday, deep inside, he must have been hoping for the fluke to happen one more time.



Sri Lankan umpire Asoka de Silva had quite an action-packed start to his day at the Sher-e-Bangla National stadium in Mirpur, Dhaka, on Thursday.

While the start was delayed by 45 minutes because of a slight drizzle, de Silva had to make two sprints to the media end of the ground to clear people from above the sightscreen area.

He sent out clear instructions and even waved out but the gentleman at the centre of it all was busy talking on a mobile phone, not even aware that he was holding up an international match.

Finally, the Sri Lankan made a quick dash to the area and got things rectified, not just once, but twice.

But this time the message sent out was loud and clear and there were no further disruptions.

Harish Kotian in Dhaka