20:42 MH17 victim's father dies of 'broken heart':
Downed flight MH17 has claimed another victim in a 93-year-old man who succumbed to the "indescribable grief" of losing his daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren in the crash, family have said.
Hendrik (Henk) Palm, from the northern Dutch town of Roden, died "after the indescribable grief of losing his daughter, Erla (Palm), son-in-law Rob (van der Linde) and grandchildren Merel and Mark" in the Malaysia Airlines crash, family members said in a death notice carried by De Stentor regional newspaper.
20:41 Boko Haram kidnaps wife of Cameroon's vice PM, kills at least three:
The wife of Cameroon's vice prime minister was kidnapped and at least three people were killed in an attack by Boko Haram militants on in the northern town of Kolofata on Sunday, Cameroon officials said.
A local religious leader, or lamido, named Seini Boukar Lamine, who is also the town's mayor, was kidnapped as well, in a separate attack on his home.
19:37 Bugging issue should be investigated: Manmohan Singh:
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said there should be an investigation into the report of bugging devices having been found in Union Minister Nitin Gadkari's residence and asked Government to explain the issue in Parliament.
"If Ministers' houses are bugged, then it is not a good omen. It should be investigated. How can it happen? it should be explained by the Government in the House," he told reporters at an Iftar get-together hosted by Congress President Sonia Gandhi
19:16 US mulling helping Ukraine target deadly rebel missile systems:
The Pentagon and American intelligence agencies are developing plans that would enable the US to provide specific locations of deadly surface-to-air missiles with pro-Russia rebels in eastern Ukraine that could be targeted and destroyed by the Ukrainian government, according to a media report.
Since the downing of Flight MH17 on July 17, the flow of heavy arms into eastern Ukraine has drastically increased, the Pentagon and the State Department said on Friday, citing American intelligence reports.
18:17 Hamas accepts 24-hour Gaza humanitarian truce:
Hamas Islamist militants have agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in their conflict with Israel in the Gaza Strip, a spokesman for the group said on Sunday, hours after fighting between the sides resumed.
"It has been agreed among resistance factions to endorse a 24-hour humanitarian calm," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told Reuters, saying the calm should start at 2.00 p.m. (1100 GMT).
17:49 Google mapping comes under CBI scrutiny:
CBI has registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) against Internet giant Google over Mapathon 2013, an event organised by the US company, for allegedly violating laws by mapping sensitive areas and defence installations, prohibited by law.
The CBI registered the PE based on a complaint filed by Surveyor General of India's office to the Union Home Ministry in which Google was accused of had been indulging in activities of mapping several areas which were not included in the maps of the country, official sources said .
17:48 Egypt army destroys 13 more Gaza tunnels:
Egypt's army said today it has destroyed 13 more tunnels connecting the Sinai Peninsula to the Gaza Strip, taking to 1,639 the overall number it has laid waste to.
Cairo has poured troops into the peninsula to counter a rising insurgency since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year, and its security operation involves the destruction of these tunnels.
17:04 Britain warns against travel to Libya:
Britain was on Sunday advising its citizens against travelling to strife-torn Libya and urged all those currently in the country to leave, although its embassy in Tripoli remains open.
"Due to the ongoing and greater intensity of fighting in Tripoli and wider instability throughout Libya, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Libya," the ministry's website said.
16:36 China's air traffic hit by military war games:
China's upcoming military exercises in its southeast coastal areas and live firing drills in the East China Sea have led to fears of massive flight delays as hundreds of people's travel plans were hit.
The war games in south east China beginning on July 29 is part of the Chinese armed forces' routine training, the Ministry of National Defense said in a statement today.
16:35 Session won't be cut short, important bills coming: Naidu:
There is no proposal to cut short the Budget session of Parliament and the government will bring in several important Bills in the coming days, Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said today.
He said the government has enough business and that important Bills, like Insurance Bill and on SEBI, are in the pipeline.
15:27 India's peacekeeping efforts praised by UN delegation:
The UN has appreciated India's contribution to global peace keeping efforts in meetings with top Indian Army brass.
A four-member UN delegation led by Herve Ladsous, Under Secretary General of United Nations at the Department of Peace Keeping Operations, called on the Chief of Army Staff General Bikram Singh and R K Mathur, Defence Secretary and Vice Chief Of Army Staff (VCOAS) on 25 July, an army statement said.
15:23 Malaysian PM: Agreement reached with Ukraine separatists:
Malaysia's Prime Minister said on Sunday that an agreement had been reached with separatists in Ukraine to give international police access to the site where a Malaysian plane was downed and enable investigators to determine why the aircraft crashed.
A statement issued by Najib Razak's office said the agreement with separatist leader Aleksander Borodai would "provide protection for international crash investigators" to recover human remains and ascertain the cause of the crash.
14:27 Spider-Man arrested in New York for assaulting police:
A 25-year-old man dressed as Spider-Man has been arrested after badgering a woman tourist for a tip in Times Square here and then punching a police officer in the face.
The police officer was standing at his post when he witnessed a male, identified as Junior Bishop, dressed as Spider-Man take a photo with a man and woman, authorities said.
14:24 Indian-origin Israeli soldier killed in Gaza offensive:
A 27-year-old Indian-origin soldier in the Israeli army died overnight after being hit by a mortar shell near the Gaza Strip border while Israel was holding fire under a humanitarian ceasefire at the request of the United Nations.
Sergeant First Class Barak Refael Degorker from the town of Gan Yavne was severely injured in the mortar fire and later succumbed to his wounds, the Israeli army said today.
14:22 Israel resumes offensive against Hamas in Gaza:
Israel said Sunday it is resuming its offensive in Gaza after Hamas rejected the extension of a humanitarian cease-fire and fired rockets over the border.
"Following Hamas' incessant rocket fire throughout the humanitarian window, which was agreed upon for the welfare of the civilian population in Gaza, the IDF will now resume its aerial, naval and ground activity in the Gaza Strip," the Israeli Defense Forces said in a statement.
13:17 First MH17 crash victim identified in Netherlands:
The first of the 298 people killed in the MH17 disaster has been identified by forensic experts, Dutch officials said on Saturday.
"It's a Dutch citizen and the victim's family and mayor of where they lived have been informed," the Dutch Ministry of Justice said in a written statement.
13:06 13 killed in Typhoon Matmo in China:
At least 13 people have been killed and more than 2.5 million affected as Typhoon Matmo swept through eight provinces of China. With this, the death toll in the two typhoons Matmo and Rammasun has reached 77.
12:15 Royal Jordanian to shut down Delhi, Mumbai flights:
Royal Jordanian Airlines has decided to stop all its services to Mumbai and Delhi due to reduced demand on travel to these cities, aggressive growth of regional competition and increased operating costs.
RJ will stop operating to Mumbai on September 10 and to Delhi on October 31, this year. The airline is also shutting down its Lagos route with effect from October 10. With the closure of the three destinations, the RJ routes will count 51.
12:13 Stokes, Prior testify against Jadeja:
In a fresh twist to the alleged altercation between Ravindra Jadeja and James Anderson, two England players have testified that the Indian all-rounder had turned towards the English bowler with a raised bat during the showdown.
According to a report in 'ESPNCricinfo', Ben Stokes and Matt Prior, during the hearing against Jadeja, testified that the Indian raised his bat at Anderson during the altercation for which he was fined 50 per cent of his match fee.
12:06 How US embassy personnel got out of Libya:
At dawn today, all the American personnel from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, Libya -- more than 150 of them, including the dozens of Marines who provide security for the compound -- were whisked away.
All the personnel were driven in a convoy some 250 miles to Tunisia, under heavy military guard from the ground, the air and at sea.The move comes amid fierce fighting between rival militias that has been growing closer to the embassy, and there was a tweet from the U.S. ambassador in Tripoli within the last 24 hours, warning of the nearing violence.
11:18 20 arrested, curfew remains in force in Saharanpur:
Twenty people were arrested as curfew and shoot-at-sight orders today remained in force in the city hit by clashes between two communities over a land dispute.
District Magistrate Sandhya Tiwari said, "The situation is better than yesterday. I have to just impose the law and order in the city and the situation is quite normal now."
11:15 Facebook extends closing of WhatsApp acquisition by a year:
Social networking giant Facebook has extended by a year the closing of its landmark USD 19 billion deal to acquire instant messaging app WhatsApp. The California-based firm will have to pay WhatsApp USD 1 billion in cash and USD 1 billion in stock options in case it fails to close the deal in the stipulated time.
Facebook said the acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals, and is expected to close in the second half of 2014.
11:13 Birth of 2nd republic under Modi: Sanjaya Baru:
Sanjaya Baru, author, policy analyst and former media adviser to former PM Manmohan Singh, said on Saturday that the second phase of India's republic has begun under Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"I firmly believe this era with Narendra Modi at the helm is the birth of India's second republic. Lok Sabha 2014 marked the end of the 'Nehruvian' dynasty. Our nation's first phase of being a republic lasted from 1950 to 2014, the second phase has begun and we are yet to see how it will grow and flourish. I don't see any Constitutional changes but the political processes in the country have already begun to change," said Baru when quizzed by attendees of the re-launch of his book 'The Accidental Prime Minister'.
11:10 Listening devices found in Gadkari residence:
In a startling incident, high power listening devices were found in the bedroom of Nitin Gadkari at his 13 Teen Murti Lane residence in New Delhi. The discovery was "accidental" and a debugging exercise was immediately ordered.
According to highly placed sources, more devices were consequently discovered at the residence of the senior BJP leader who is also the Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways.
Gadkari has apparently informed Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat about the incident.
00:27 So Hamas didnt kidnap and kill the 3 Israeli teens after all...:
When the bodies of three Israeli teenagers, kidnapped in the West Bank, were found late last month, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not mince words.
"Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay," he said, initiating a campaign that eventually escalated into the present conflict in the region.
But now, officials admit the kidnappings were not Hamas's handiwork after all.
BuzzFeed reporter Sheera Frenkel was among the first to suggest that it was unlikely that Hamas was behind the deaths of Gilad Shaar, Naftali Frenkel, and Eyal Yifrach. Citing Palestinian sources and experts the field, Frenkel reported that kidnapping three Israeli teens would be a foolish move for Hamas.
International experts told her it was likely the work of a local group, acting without concern for the repercussions
Today, she was proven right. Read about it HERE
00:25 Hamas rejects 4-hour Gaza war truce extension:
A Hamas official says the group has rejected a four-hour extension of a humanitarian truce proposed by Israel.
Sami Abu Zuhri sent a text message to reporters Saturday, saying: "No agreement to extending the calm for an additional four hours."
Israel has set its own terms for the lull, saying it would continue demolishing Hamas military tunnels under the Gaza-Israel border.
In Paris, US Secretary of State John Kerry and European foreign minister were discussing how to build on the initial 12-hour lull Saturday and transform it into a sustainable truce.
00:24 North Korea fires short-range missile into sea:
North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile into waters off its east coast today, a South Korean defence official said.
It was the latest in a slew of weapons tests by Pyongyang, and came on the eve of the 61st anniversary of the signing of an armistice that ended the rivals' war.
The missile, fired from North Korea's southwest Hwanghae province this evening, flew about 500 kilometres across the country before landing in the sea, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of department rules. He gave no further details.
North Korea routinely test-fires missiles, artillery and rockets, but the number of weapons tests it has conducted this year is much higher than previous years.
00:23 Saharanpur clashes: UP govt announces Rs 10 lakh aid to kin of deceased:
The Uttar Pradesh government tonight announced financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh each to the next of kin of the three persons killed in clashes between two communities in Saharanpur.
An official spokesman said that Rs 50,000 will be given to the injured.
The state government has also sought a report of the entire incident from the district administration.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has termed the incident as "unfortunate" and said that those responsible will not be spared.
The government also announced Rs 10 lakh for the next of kin of those killed in the IAF helicopter crash in Sitapur district.
Seven IAF personnel including two officers were killed yesterday when an ALH Dhruv helicopter in which they were flying from Bareilly to Allahabad crashed in Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh.